Chapter 8 - Z-Carriage
Gathering the parts for the KRMx01 Z-Carriage
Marking and drilling the Z-Carriage parts
Here are a couple of images of the Z-Carriage parts. The first showing them marked and punched and the other after all the parts have been drilled. Note the spacers. The Z-Carriage sides require attention to detail. If you look close you will see that I had miss marked one. Luckily I caught my mistake and corrected it.
Painting the Z-Carriage parts
Here are the steel parts painted for the Z-Carriage. These will need to dry a while to harden up then I can start the assembly. I am leaving the router mounting plate bare aluminum like the other aluminum parts of the machine. I just think it looks better. Besides, I have always had problems with aluminum taking paint and holding it. Has anyone tried baking Krylon 2 in 1 paint in the oven? If you have send me a message through the contact link from the main menu at the top please and let me know how it worked.
I just realized that I did not drill the holes in the supports for the anti-backlash nuts to 3/8". I plan on using the 5/16" socket head screws that came with them. I will have to take these back to the drill press and correct that error. Suppose it will need a bit of touch up on the paint too. :-(
Assembling the Z-Carriage
The Z-Carriage is assembled as outlined in the book, except for the spacers that are placed under the Z-Carriage support pieces. The images show the completed Z-Carriage assembly. Note the arrows for the location of the spacers.
I feel there are a couple of things to point out. The 1-1/2" bolts that attach the router plate to the carriage sides seem just a a little long. Bolts 1-1/4" long may have been a better selection. The longer bolts will work, but I had to loosen a couple and make sure they were pushed as far to the outside edges they would go to prevent them from interfering with the Z-Rails.
Adjusting the Z-Carriage
This wasn't too bad of a job. Rest the carriage on the bolt you place on the bottom of the Z-Beam and manipulate the bearing adjusters until it is square. I was fortunate that I had only a minuscule adjustment to make. The images to the left are the Z-Carriage installed and adjusted.
The machine at this point
Well the machine is really starting to take shape! Next comes the bearing blocks and motor mounts. These items will have to be altered to accommodate the changes in the carriages for the new anti-backlash nuts. I will make updated drawings available. See you in the next chapter! :-)